OFFERING IN THE TEMPLE

Offering in the Temple

-Desika Vinayakam Pillai


I saw the entire temple:

I climbed up the spires as well.

My friends! Despite my search

I saw the Lord nowhere.

 

I saw the holy tank; the street

Where the chariot moves.

Me poor! I did not see the treasure

Of one’s hard times.

 

There were sculpted figures;

Painting wrought beautifully.

My friend! Yet I found nowhere

The Lord wonderful.

 

Gold was there; jewels too.

Scented garlands many.

But my father, my Lord,

Him I saw nowhere.

 

They burnt joss sticks;

Lights were then waved.

My friend! I did not see there

The helper in times of need.

I saw the city of Tillai;

And the dance hall famous.

But my eyes did not gain

Him who can melt even stone.

 

My friend! It is no use

Worshipping lovely things

While you allow the mind

To roam as it will.

 

He is within the heart!

Understand this for sure.

If you could see him within

You would meet him in the temple too.


(Kovil Valipadu, 1938 

Translated by  Prema Nandakumar)


SUMMARY


The poem "Offering in the Temple" delves into the elusive nature of God's presence. It underscores the idea that God exists, but our pursuit of Him in temples, spires, prayers, bustling streets, chariots' path, sculptures, and art is in vain. True insight comes when we find God within our own hearts.

The poet, through his personal journey, laments his inability to discover God, despite relentless searching. He asserts that his quest was fruitless because he didn't recognize God's dwelling place—the human heart. The central theme of the poem can be summarized as follows: God resides in the heart of every individual, and unless we find Him within ourselves, all external searches are futile.

The age-old debate about the existence of God continues, with no definitive resolution. Throughout history, people have employed various methods to seek God or confirm His presence. The poet provides an extensive catalog of the places he explored in his pursuit of the Divine, including temples, spires, prayers, and the commotion of the streets. Yet, his endeavors remained unfulfilled.

However, the poem concludes by shedding light on a profound truth. It emphasizes that God is inherently present within the human heart. To perceive God in places of worship, we must first learn to recognize Him within ourselves.

     "Offering in the Temple" ही कविता देवाच्या उपस्थितीच्या मायावी स्वरूपाचा अभ्यास करते. देव अस्तित्त्वात आहे ही कल्पना अधोरेखित करते, परंतु मंदिरे, शिळे, प्रार्थना, गजबजलेले रस्ते, रथ मार्ग, शिल्पे आणि कलेमध्ये आपला त्याचा शोध व्यर्थ आहे. जेव्हा आपण आपल्या स्वतःच्या अंतःकरणात देव शोधतो तेव्हा खरी अंतर्दृष्टी येते.

कवी, त्याच्या वैयक्तिक प्रवासातून, अथक शोध घेऊनही, देवाचा शोध घेण्याच्या असमर्थतेबद्दल शोक व्यक्त करतो. तो ठामपणे सांगतो की त्याचा शोध निष्फळ होता कारण त्याने देवाचे निवासस्थान - मानवी हृदय ओळखले नाही. कवितेची मध्यवर्ती थीम खालीलप्रमाणे सारांशित केली जाऊ शकते:

देव प्रत्येक व्यक्तीच्या हृदयात वास करतो आणि जोपर्यंत आपण त्याला स्वतःमध्ये शोधत नाही तोपर्यंत सर्व बाह्य शोध व्यर्थ आहेत.

देवाच्या अस्तित्वाविषयी जुना वादविवाद सुरूच आहे, कोणतेही निश्चित निराकरण नाही. संपूर्ण इतिहासात, लोकांनी देवाचा शोध घेण्यासाठी किंवा त्याच्या उपस्थितीची पुष्टी करण्यासाठी विविध पद्धती वापरल्या आहेत. कवी मंदिरे, स्पायर्स, प्रार्थना आणि रस्त्यावरील गोंधळ यासह देवाच्या शोधात त्याने शोधलेल्या ठिकाणांची विस्तृत कॅटलॉग प्रदान करतो. तरीही त्यांचे प्रयत्न अपूर्ण राहिले.

तथापि, एका गहन सत्यावर प्रकाश टाकून कविता संपते. ही कविता देव मानवी हृदयात अंतर्भूत आहे यावर जोर देते. देवाला उपासनेच्या ठिकाणी पाहण्यासाठी, आपण प्रथम त्याला स्वतःमध्ये ओळखायला शिकले पाहिजे.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PANCH PARMESHWAR-QUESTION AND ANSWERS

DESCRIPTION

PANCH PARAMESHWAR